Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Horoscope is a Lie.

I've never found horoscopes to be useful, nor have I ever found them to have the slightest amount of truth to them. They're filled with massive amounts of loaded words, vague descriptions and are usually emotionally driven. But, most of all they seem like they are completely the same all the time!

Well finally my assumptions have come true. The folks over at http://www.informationisbeautiful.net did some friendly hacking on Yahoo!'s horoscope page and grabbed 22,000 horoscopes for every sign and made a nice word cloud of the most common words used for each sign. And guess what? 90% of the words are all shared!



The website broke this down into the 50 most common words and found the most unique words in two analysis' and quite frankly I couldn't be happier about being a Virgo. The first ones was 'take' and 'careful'. The second ones were 'totally' and 'perfect'. If you didn't realize I really preferred the later.

For fun lets try to make a horoscope specifically out of the words represented in the cloud above for my sign:

Plans? best friends perfect moment comes fun. Ready? Dealing energy careful turn enough matter help. Better feel life exactly. Takes everything totally sure. Mind change nothing situation. World, keep love.
OK well that is just ridiculous! What a load of crap! Hold on let me check my real horoscope:

Believe in your vision. Like never before, you see good and bad as they truly are.

Overview

You feel less organized than usual, which isn't much fun. You may have to force yourself to take care of business, but that's not so far off from your skill set. Things get better soon!

Really? That's it...frankly, I'm not convinced.

Links:







No comments: